(This post is for those Africans who do not posses a work permit in a white man’s country)
1. Your parents have political influence.
2. The said political influence is as a result of being wealthy through politics in an African nation.
3. You don’t need a loan to go to an Ivy League college.
4. You already speak a foreign language
5. You are African but have a Passport of a nation owned by people who are not Africans.
6. You live in the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any other non African nation.
Your dreams will be forever locked up in your head until you get out of Africa!
I know Femi Kuti said he stays in Nigeria to prove that you make it in life even if you stay in Nigeria. If you like, stay! Forget say e father na Fela and e dey travel out well well.
I’m not saying Naija is that bad, all I’m saying is you need a place where you can get access to the things you want to become. Especially if it has to do with the Film industry. If you want to be known internationally, America is the place to be. That is just how things are. For now.
Chimamanda and Chika Unigwe and Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka and Omotola and D’banj and Genevieve and that other guy who wrote a book about Las Vegas… will tell you that what I’m saying is true.
Out of Africa is the way in.
And Lupita, I love you! You’re the revolution.